November 8, 2014

Thankful Turkeys- November Singing Time

 I love this time of year, when the Primary program is over and we get to start doing holiday stuff!!
So last week, I printed up a piece of paper for all the kids to fill out. It said:
Name:
I am thankful for:
My favorite primary song is:

Then I incorporated these songs in my lesson! I made a list of the things they were thankful for and was able to incorporate ALL the things they listed in this lesson. Then I tried to use most of the songs they chose as well, but you could always just save that for another day. It was cute because some kids answered with: Lego toys, bunk beds, kitty cat, food. So I clumped the others* into "Many Things" and other kids did temples, Christ, church, scriptures... topics that are easy to pick a song with. It was fun to read through them.







So basically, I cut out these pieces to make the turkey and feathers, and laminated each piece separately. Then I put some painters tape on the back to label the feathers so I can switch it up each year.
Last year I used their own words for what they were thankful for, but this year in a time crunch, I just made up my own. Here are some topics & songs you could sing:


Family: The Family is of God or Families Can Be Together Forever 188
Scriptures: Book of Mormon Stories 88, Scripture Power
Jesus: I'm Trying to be like Jesus 78, He Sent His Son 34
Temples: I love to see the Temple 95
Heavenly Father/Earth/World/Animals: I am a Child of God 2, My Heavenly Father Loves Me 228, Popcorn Popping 242, Birds in the Tree 241
Healthy Bodies: Head Shoulders, Knees & Toes 275, Hinges 277
Primary: Here we are Together, I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ 77
Prophets: Follow the Prophet 110
Other*: I am Glad for Many Things 151
This song is SO easy and SO fun- if you don't do it already, I'd strongly suggest it!! You can list these "many things" on the board, like "food to eat, lego toys, and my bed" and sing that instead of "many things, many things, many things." It's a fun way to continue singing and could take up as much or as little time as you have!
With the second verse, we talk about how important it is to say Thank You and that's what Thanksgiving is all about!!


Hope you enjoy doing this lesson!! Here are a few more Thanksgiving Lessons I've done in November:
Pass the Pumpkin, Sing in Round

No comments: